Libya’s Interior Ministry has reported the discovery of a mass grave with the bodies of 21 Coptic Christians beheaded by ISIL terrorists on a beach two years ago.
According to the ministry’s unit for fighting organised crime in the city of Misurata, “the heads are separated from the bodies clad in orange jumpsuits, hands bound behind the back with plastic wire. ”
The discovery of the grave came after confessions by ISIL prisoners, the unit said, adding that the remains had been transferred to Misurata for forensic examination.
The Coptic Christians were captured by the terrorist group in separate incidents throughout December 2014 and January 2015 before the group released a video of their execution on a beach on February 15, 2015. The video attracted a lot of international backlash and airstrip attacks by Egypt on Libyan soil.
Egypt has reacted to this latest discovery. Its foreign ministry said on Saturday it was working on securing the release of the bodies to Egypt.
“The Egyptian embassy has been communicating since Friday with the Libyans with co-ordination with the Egyptian ministry of defence to secure their return to Egypt,” a spokesman said.